We are offering coaching services to acupuncturists, herbalists, massage therapists and other holistic healthcare practitioners who are seeking to build resonant and resilient businesses.
Please explore the information below to learn if our coaching opportunities are right for you, and whenever you are ready – submit your application.
We look forward to meeting you!
Who do we work with?
The reasons for choosing to work with a business coach are diverse! Most of the people who I’ve worked with in the past have been in one of the following general situations:
- They’re starting up their acupuncture clinics, and need guidance
- They’ve reached a major milestone in their business and are looking at next steps to maximize the opportunities
- They are at some crisis point with their acupuncture practice and are hoping for clarity
- They are approaching someone to join as a partner, or are considering selling their acupuncture practice
These situations benefit from the external perspective and consistent support that a business coach brings.
You’ll notice our materials mostly use “acupuncture business coaching” as a catch-all, but our own clinic is much more than that. We are excited to partner with any holistic medical provider or movement studio owner, but have worked most with acupuncturists, Chinese herbalists, massage therapists and yoga studios. We are adept at advising people who are solo practitioners or have small clinics with 15 or fewer practitioners.
We are, perhaps for obvious reasons, particularly well suited to work with business partners who have multiple layers of relationship – whether that’s marriage, life partnership, friendship or something else. We also have a particular affinity for working with people who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community and anyone seeking to integrate care for underrepresented populations into their practice.
Who are we?
We have been in business together since 2009 when we founded Watershed Wellness. We’ve since built it into a profitable business that is a benefit to the community and all that work within it, and it is getting better every day. It wasn’t always easy – in fact most of the time it’s been a struggle – but our primary super power is we never fail to learn the lessons that our business is trying to teach us. That super power can now be used to help you, since we know all the wrong ways to do so many things. And a few right ways as well.
You can learn a lot about our story by checking out the four part series I wrote about my background and Watershed Wellness’ history. Part 1 covers my young life & University training. Part 2 looks at medical school and the early days of WW. Part 3 takes a little diversion to discuss my teaching career. Finally, in Part 4, we discuss the more recent history of the clinic and our move to Astoria, OR.
And read any of the sections below to learn more about our approach to coaching and how the coaching relationship works through Deepest Health.
What’s our approach to acupuncture business coaching?
Few clients with high resonance
- We take only a few clients so we can ensure that we have the time and energy to serve you.
- We have a long application process “measure twice, cut once” so that fit is all but ensured. Nobody has time and money to waste on a poor fit!
Commitment and accountability
- We use tools for accountability that work best for you. The goal is to work with your natural motivational tendencies to help your business.
- While we like to hold a strong focus on getting things done between coaching sessions, we also recognize that life is large and doesn’t always go according to plan. Flexibility and grace is available.
- That said – all parties need to be on board with the coaching relationship for the best work to get done.
Holistic and systematic focus
- Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and treating complex problems like they are simple is a recipe for disaster!
- We will do a full systemic analysis of your business at the outset of our initial coaching engagement and give you a basic “diagnosis” from our perspective in several areas. You can learn more about business systems, in the way we use them, starting with this first part of a series on the topic.
- We will not just focus on “the business.” You as “chief executive” of your acupuncture practice are more than the spreadsheets and websites and business cards! Discussing your personal situation, your emotions and experiences, and integrating that into our work on your business is inevitable. This doesn’t mean we’ll get nosy – you will be in the driver’s seat at all times.
Fun, humor & joy are business tools
We are fun-loving people who have found that laughter is often a potent tool in helping us cope with the sometimes challenging life of holistic medical business. While we’re often focusing on “problems” in acupuncture business coaching, we also look as much as possible to show you what’s going right, encourage you to build on those successes, and celebrate them with you.
Life’s too short to be mad about business.
What are the coaching options?
Single Problem Focused Sessions
We are offering single sessions for people who feel fairly comfortable overall with the business part of practice, but are running into a sticking point and need some expertise and advice to get through. This is perfect for successful practitioners who are taking on employees for the first time, moving into a larger or very different location, or adding a new service or product line.
This option starts with the same application as our packages. We will read your application and get back to you within 2 business days. If we determine that you are a good fit for a single session based on the information you provided, we’ll start a brief onboarding process intended to help clarify the question we will focus on during the session. We want as much time as possible to be available for actually working on the question, rather than figuring out what the question is in the first place!
The goal during these single sessions is for you to leave having a more complete and grounded perspective on your situation as well as having a list of projects to begin and actions to take. After the session, we’ll provide a write-up that includes some schematic notes from the session as well as our recommendations. As with all of our coaching clients, you’ll get access to a special area in our online community to ask questions & share your experiences.
Price : $299 for a 60 minute session
If you’re interested in pursuing this option, please fill out our online application. We’ll read the information and get back to you within 2 business days. If you do not hear from us in that timeframe, do not hesitate to reach out, as something in the technological chain has likely failed.
For most clinic owners in most situations, a single session isn’t enough. Further, many folks need a bit more hands-on help than a single coaching session can provide. That’s why we focus on our coaching-consulting packages. The “consulting” aspect of the name is meant to reference the fact that in many cases we are “in” people’s businesses, looking at the back-end of their websites and poring over Quickbooks and spreadsheets.
While the actual work of change in the business is always in the business owners hands’ – in our packages we are there with you in every way we can.
Our coaching packages are great for people at any stage of business, but are perhaps best for people in the startup phase or who are approaching some major transition in their business. Packages are also great for anyone who is simply struggling to make it to the next level with their business – but they’re not exactly sure why.
Every package includes Zoom-based coaching sessions, as well as:
Customized program and follow-through
- The coaching engagement always starts with a robust research process on our part.
- Every package is unique and tailored for you. No two practices need the same approach. If you want more time between sessions, we’ll make it happen. If you prefer a more intensive engagement, we’ll discuss options.
- After your initial package, there are options for further coaching, and we will happily engage with you via email for limited follow-up for 6 months after your package concludes.
Supportive content and acupuncture business coaching community
- We will always seek to provide you materials to help enhance our conversations and guide your work between sessions. This may include Deepest Health content, but will also include books and other media elsewhere.
- You will have access to an online community space, kept protected for practitioners and business owners only, where you can ask questions, share experiences and engage with other people in the field.
Easy access to your coaches
- Using the online community space, you’ll have same-day access to your coaches for urgent questions and follow-up.
- We will give you multiple options to contact us, including urgent methods should something come up between sessions.
Availability of hands-on consulting work for certain situations
Depending on the situation, you may need that hands-on help discussed earlier. Based on our assessment of your needs:
- Amanda will do hands-on work with people’s financial records and other aspects of the financial system, including helping you learn Quickbooks. Note that Amanda is not an accountant and is not Quickbooks certified. She will advise you as a business owner who has extensive experience in these matters.
- Eric will do hands-on work with you to help you establish productivity and organizational systems so you can do your executive work more efficiently.
- Eric will also provide website and other marketing analytics, hands-on work on your website and other limited technological services.
All of this is included in both 5 and 10 session packages. The expense can be paid in one or two payments, and at least one payment must be made prior to beginning the first session. If sessions are needed beyond the initial package, we will discuss single sessions and smaller package options with you at that time.
- Five 60 minute sessions : $1399
- Ten 60 minute sessions : $2499
Use the form below to ask any questions you have about Deepest Health coaching. We get back to people within 2 business days. You can also reach out on Twitter, Instagram, or the Deepest Health community (registration required).